Know Before You Cleanse
A cleanse is not a good weight loss tool, and it's not for everyone. Consider these points before you start.
1) Set Goals. You don't need a cleanse to feel healthy, but it is an opportunity to give your digestive system a mini-break, jump start healthful eating, re-check portions and eliminate possible allergens.
2) Avoid: artificial sweeteners, dairy, gluten, soy, alcohol and most caffeine. Red meat should go, and make sure any protein consumed is organic.
3) Include: fats! Be sure to include one to two nutritious fats with every meal: nuts and seeds, nut butter, avocado, and oils such as flax, olive oil or grape seed. Go for natural sweeteners like maple syrup, agave nectar or honey.
4) Hydrate. 64 ounces of water a day is ideal, and to make things more festive try a cocktail of 100% pomegranate juice, coconut water and seltzer. it's filled with antioxidants and vitamin D. Plus, coconut water has a lot of potassium, which helps rid the body of sodium.
5) Relax. While a brisk workout is a great way to kick the blahs, minimize your exercise for the three days of your cleanse. Spend time at home, get plenty of sleep, and rejuvenate.